APPALACHIA ONCOLOGY CENTER
FOURTH YEAR DESIGN PROJECT
Design Completion: December 2010
Project Duration: 6 weeks
Medium: Watercolors, Sketch-up, Podium, Revit, and Adobe Suite
The Appalachian Oncology Center will serve as a realm of escape and relaxation for patients and family as they endure the long healing process. The integration of the Building’s Location, Site, and Interior with the surrounding community and region will promote both the economy and the overall health of the area.
- Break down visual barriers between interior and exterior to utilize natural light
- Shape a positive experience for patients, staff members, and guests
- Use local materials to lessen travel distance and promote the region’s economy.
- Choose natural materials with low VOC and toxicity levels to promote healthy indoor environmental quality.
- Use elements such as indoor plant boxes and water features to bring in an outdoor feel while helping with air circulation and purification.
- Design outdoor spaces for patients and guests to enjoy fresh air in a serene environment to lower stress levels and anxiety.
- Make the Center feel more like a healing escape rather than a medical institution.
- Provide a healing environment complete with treatment and wellness programs.